6/7/11

Ride Home 6/7

Wasn't much metaphorical gas in the metaphorical tank for the ride home, but that was ok. I think there also wasn't much non-metaphorical air on the non-metaphorical tires either and I felt like I was plodding along the entire ride. Such is life, I suppose.
I endorse the use of water bottles and water bottle cages for bicycle commuters. It's hot out there and it's only supposed to get hotter this week. It's better to have water and not drink it than to be parched. That's actually written in Latin on my family crest.
I don't like to think of it as crossing against the light so much as wheel-assisted jaywalking. I don't think that this makes it any more legal.
When will DDOT finish the 34th street bike lane? Everything's fine til the lane goes away and then you've got drivers deciding to ride within a foot of the parked cars on the right side of the street. Annoying, probably for both me and them.
What's the point of having a bumper sticker that says "Honk if you think I'm a good driver." This kind of puckishness is stupid. It's not going to abate angry honking. It's only going to prove to passing bicyclists that your sense of humor should be questioned.
I don't want to get political, but I'm pretty sure that Obama is going to carry DC again in 2012 based on the number of bumper stickers I've seen. Sorry, Anthony Williams.
I've previously mentioned my desire to cross the Potomac (Algonquin for murky) via ferry so as to avoid mingling with car and foot traffic. Maybe we should just move or I should work in Virginia, I don't know. In any case, today's saga (Old Norse for trite story) had me approaching a family of five strewn out in an attenuated single file line, led by the intrepid "Jeffy," a tow-headed, bare-foot seven year old running a good ten feet ahead of his mother. I dinged and slowed and everyone in the back group consisting of dad, daughters and mom were passed with ease and ample room. But as I pass mom, she screams out "JEFFY! WATCH OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTT!" I kid you not. At first I thought that she was joking and wryly mocking the notion of overprotective parenting or perhaps channeling Stephen Colbert. Jeffy turned around and stopped and I passed him on the right. A few things: 1) why are you allowing your child to walk around a city shoeless? 2) Unlike Jeffy, I am an adult. I am capable of recognizing situations around me. I am not the Headless Horsemen or some hussar  bearing down on unwitting pedestrians with the aim of knocking them over or running them down. Geez. I had the Jeffy situation under control.
Big praise to the new bike lane on Wilson to Oak. I really, really like that bike lane. It might give it some official blog award assuming I can muster the pretension to start giving out awards. And by "muster the pretension," I mean come up with some funny name ending in -y or -ie for the award. Would anyone like to win a sharrowy?
I ride behind a guy on Wilson who had empty panniers and a full backpack. Does not compute.
When I'm really old, please don't let me spend my dotage on a racing bike. It can't be comfortable. But maybe it is?

No comments:

Post a Comment